This online facility contains the basic information about the programmes and the operation of the department of Educational Foundations. The information is intended to guide you especially in your academic work throughout your period of study in the university.
It is hoped that you will acquaint yourselves with the rules and regulation governing the department's programmes and operations. You are strongly advised to make Constance reference to the handbook so as to familiarize yourselves with the provisions therein, for your own good.
The department of Educational Foundation wishes you success in your academic career.
GBWNGA, BATUR-LAHA Ph.D
HOD EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATIONS
The Department of Educational Foundations is one of the three departments in the Faculty of educational Benue State University, Makurdi. The other two are Curriculum and Teaching and Vocational and Technical Education. The Department of educational Foundations started in the Faculty of education in 2000.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE PROGRAMME IN GENERAL
The Department is administered by the Head of Department with the support of Academic and Non-Academic staff in the Department. The Non-Academic staff is made up of one Typist, Computer Operator, a Clerical Assistant and a Caretaker. The Academic Staff also help with the demonstrative responsibilities as assigned or delegated to them.
How staff involved in the decision making process and in general
Staff are involved in the decision making process and in general administration by participating in departmental meetings which are supposed to be held on a monthly basis. They are also involved through the role they play when assigned responsibilities
philosophy and objectives
The general philosophy and objectives of the Department of Educational Foundations are:
1. To produce knowledgeable and professionally competent graduate teachers of Physical and Health Education, Social Studies, English, Mathematics and Sciences for Primary; Secondary Schools and Teachers Colleges.
2. To produce professionally competent Sport Coaches, Administrators and organizers for colleges, institutes, Polytechnics, Universities, Armed Forces, Para-Military, State and Federal Ministers of Education, Educational Resource centre, State Sports Councils and National Sports Commission (this particularly applies to the PHE programme).
3. To produce future scholars, researchers and lecturers for Colleges of Education, National Institute for sports and Universities. (This particularly applies to the PHE programme)
4. Provide training that will equip teachers of children with adequate knowledge, skills attitudes, values and competence that are relevant to the needs of the society.
5. Expose learner top appreciate Pre-Primary/Primary Education teaching methods, improvisation of basic teaching aids and the psychology of teaching at this level.
6. Providing opportunities to examine some philosophical theories on the nature and needs of the child and its application in relation to educational theory and practice in Nigeria
7. Provide sound background for the organization of Nursery/Primary education with particular reference to Nigeria.
8. Ensure that learners are equipped with a solid foundation that is required to adequately exhibit and demonstrate academic competence and professional skills necessary for teaching children.
9. Developing in students a holistic attitude to teaching/learning by integrating knowledge and avoiding compartmentalization of ideas at this level.
10. Providing learners with basic academic and professional tools required to:
• Demonstrate the competence needed to adequately teach Nursery/Primary school children
• Assume administration responsibilities as a Nursery/Primary school head teacher of proprietor.