Department of Psychology is one of the first departments established by the University. At the moment, the department runs a four year programme leading to a Bachelor’s of Science (B.Sc) Degree in Psychology.
The philosophy underlying the B.Sc programme in Psychology at BSU, Makurdi is to produce Psychology graduates who are imbued with the culture of a thorough knowledge of scientific psychology and effectively apply same to their immediate environment in order to improve the lot of the ordinary people in Benue State, Nigeria and the international community.
The main objective of the programme is to provide opportunities understanding, predicting and controlling the roots of human psychology in all its ramifications, formulate hypotheses and theories for solving psychological and socioeconomic problems of the Nigeria Society and the international community. The programme therefore aims at the following:
1. Producing graduates with a thorough understanding, predicting and controlling the roots of human and animal behaviour
2. Develop critical judgment, including the ability to observe, understanding, analyze and synthesize data on behaviour.
Contingent on the above, find work and be effective in very sphere of human activity including education, security service, military, clinic, industry, organizations etc.
The General Admission requirements into Benue State University are provided in the General Prospectus of the University. In addition to these requirements, the Department of Psychology requires for entry at least a PASS in Biology and Mathematics at the Ordinary Level. Health Science may be accepted in place of Biology. Direct Entry, G.C.E. A’ Level, Diploma in relevant fields in addition to O’ Level requirement.
The programme aims, among other things to achieve the above objectives. To train students so that they should be able to:
• Offer quality care (for those who are in hospitals and other health delivery systems)
• Be effective planners (for those in administration)
• Posses the ability to manage change
• Provide good leadership, have skills to motivate multi-sector staff, community-based organizations and community members through the use of base management and psychological theories.
• Apply predetermined protocols set by employers in problem solving
• Improve staff attitude to work by increasing team work, stemming sharp practices, and facilitating problem identification and problem solving.
• Improve communication, relationships with client and co-workers, negotiating skills and conflict resolution.
• To maintain personal and professional disciplines in such a way that they are embodiment of accountability
• Initiate, conduct, contribute and disseminate valid research of relevance to organizations.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR GRADUATES OF B.Sc PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAMMES
While a Professional career in Psychology requires some Post Graduates training and qualification in a specialized area of Psychology, a graduate with a degree in Psychology can find employment in several such fields as:
Education: Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education, Nursery, primary and Secondary Schools as well as special education institutions.
Medical: Psychiatric and mental health clinics, Hospitals and Colleges of Medicine.
Government General Services: Federal, State and Local Governments Services both Local and Foreign Services, particular in the areas of personnel management.
Government Parastatals: Especially in the areas of personnel management.
Private Sector: Industrial and Business Organizations.
The Military: The Air Force, Army and Navy
Security and Intelligence Services: A wide range of employment opportunities are available to Psychology graduates here.
Other Uniformed Services: The Police, Prisons, Immigration, Customs Services etc. Others any organization with personnel and managerial needs employs Psychology graduates.