The Department began as the Department of Mathematics, among three others (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) that formed Faculty of Science, in 1992. These Departments in their inception ran, together, the first Remedial Programme of the University which contributed in bringing students to the faculty. At the end of the first year, students who passed the Remedial Programme and had chosen Mathematics option were admitted to read B.SC (Hons) Mathematic (1993). Unfortunately the University administration felt that there were insufficient number of lecturers to run the Mathematics Programme to the finish and hence the students that enrolled for Mathematics were asked to move to any of the other three programmes.
Thus the department became a service Department to the other three Departments from 1993 – 2001.
In 2000, the Benue State Government mandated the University Council to start the degree programmes in Mathematics and Computer Science'. This gave birth to the present status of the Department as the "Department of Mathematics and Computer Science". By this new mandate, the Department offers B.SC (Hons) degree in Mathematics and B.Sc (Hons) degree in Computer Science. The first sets of students were admitted in 2001/2002 session and graduated in 2005/2006 session.
Apart from running the Department's Programme, the Department still services other Departments of the Faculty (Science) and Faculty of Education as well as General Studies. The Department is presently accommodated in a one storey building constructed by Education Trust Fund (ETF)
aims and objectives
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offers students opportunity to be well grounded in the areas of Mathematics and Computer Science. On successful completion of any of the programmes, the graduate of the Department is expected to work effectively in any area of Mathematics and / or Computer Science as may be applicable to his disciple. Other main objectives of the Department are:
• To provide the much needed manpower in the area of Mathematics & Computer Science
• To render services to the entire University especially to related disciplines such as Mathematics Education, Physical Sciences, Management Sciences and Social Sciences.
• To promote and encourage active research in the area of Mathematics, Computing and allied disciplines.
• To provide courses and supervise research leading to higher degrees of the University.
• To achieve and maintain a good level of academic excellence.