The Department of Languages and Linguistics is one of the foundation Departments of the Faculty of Arts which came into existence at the inception of the University in 1992/93 session. Though merged with English in 1995, it was “demerged” in 2001 by the Prof. David I. Ker administration.
Starting with a total of nine (9) students in 1992/93, the Department, in the 2005/2006 session had an intake population of over 1,000 students. The department currently offers degrees in French and Linguistics. A proposed degree in French/Linguistics is now awaiting take-off after due process. There is also the hope that TIV and Idoma, now offered as electives, will develop into degree awarding programme.
Postgraduate degrees (M.A) are being offered in French and Linguistics. A doctoral degree programme in French came on stream in the 2005/2006 session.
B.A. (HONS) FRENCH PROGRAMME
Title of Degree: B.A. (HONS) FRENCH
Programme Philosophy and Objectives
The four year B.A. Degree Programme in French is committed to the broad philosophy and objectives of Benue State University, designed to equip individuals with the skills and necessary tools to develop and realize their potentials, so that they may lead self-fulfilling lives, and contribute meaningfully to the development of the nation.
By insisting on a high level of academic performance, the programme aims at facilitating the flow of manpower thus created to the public ad civil service, and to the private sector.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the Department are:
* To instill into the students the various aspects of French and other language related tasks, for the purpose of effective communication in the foreign language
* To acquaint the students with elements of the culture and civilization of the French speaking world with emphasis on our French speaking neighbours.
* To produce competent manpower for the teaching and promotion of French language in the country generally and to make such manpower available for regional and international organizations.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: B.A. (FRENCH)
1. A candidate wishing to register for the B.A. (French) programme should posses at least five credits, two of which must be in French and English Language, and any other three credits at the SSCE level or the equivalent.
2. The following categories of students, on fulfilling condition N0 4:I above and the conditions stated in 4ii A-C below, are accepted for the three year degree course in French.
1. Candidate who posses at least two A’Level passes, one of which must be in English/French language
2. Two credit passes at NCE in French
3. Candidates with equivalent qualifications from Francophone institutions who posses at least an “O” credit in English Language
4. Exceptionally, candidates with good passes in the Proficiency Diploma in French in French (PDF) offered by the Department.
To qualify to be awarded a Bachelor’s Degree in French of Benue State University, a candidate must have:
* been dully admitted for the degree programme
* been matriculated into the University
* passed all the General Studies Courses
* paid all prescribed fees, charges, levies etc
* passed all the core courses for the French Programme
* earned the minimum number of the credits units for the award of a Bachelor of Arts Degree (i.e 108 for the 3 years programme and 144 for the 4 year programme).
B.A. (HONS) LINGUISTICS PROGRAMME
Title of Degree: B.A. (HONS) LINGUISTICS
Programme Philosophy and Objectives
The four year B.A. Degree Programme in Linguistics is committed to the broad philosophy and objectives of Benue State University, designed to equip individuals with the skills and necessary tools to develop and realize their potentials, so that they may leas self-fulfilling lives, and con tribute meaningfully to the development of the nation.
By insisting on a high level of academic performance, the programme aims at facilitating the flow of manpower thus created to the public and civil service, and to the private sector.